CHARTERED PROFESSIONAL ACCOUNTANTS OF ONTARIO: CPA Ontario
CPA Ontario protects the public interest by ensuring its members meet the highest standards of integrity and expertise. CPA Ontario serves and supports its more than 87,000 members and 19,000 students in their qualification and professional development in a wide range of senior positions in public accounting, business, finance, government, not-for-profits and academe. Chartered Professional Accountants are valued by organizations of all types and sizes for their financial expertise, strategic thinking, business insight, management skills and leadership. For information on the profession, visit cpaontario.ca. To become a CPA in Ontario, visit gocpaontario.ca.
Students are required to have an Undergraduate degree (any major) upon entry into CPA’s Professional Education Program (PEP). The DeGroote School of Business with a Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) focus in the Accounting stream and the Masters in Business Administration (MBA) are two examples of programs at DeGroote that fulfills all required Academic Prerequisites to get direct access to PEP, however McMaster students can go down any stream and still qualify to get into the CPA program.
- Please click here for a complete list of the courses needed to be taken during your Undergraduate and Master’s degrees in order to be eligible for PEP.
- To see what DeGroote courses currently receive exemptions towards an individual’s unique CPA pathway, please complete a self-assessment tool today.
- When a McMaster student is ready to register into the CPA program, your first step is to submit your official transcripts.
Professional Education Program
After graduation, students are given two options. One can choose to complete the two cores, electives and capstones on a part time basis while working. Or, fast track the process by participating in the Graduate Diploma in Professional Accountancy at DeGroote. Since McMaster has this accredited Graduate program, students have the opportunity to complete the Graduate Diploma in the summer term. Completing the Graduate Diploma allows students to tackle the Capstones directly once they have gotten through the diploma. Please see the diagram above for details.
For more details regarding the Graduate Diploma at DeGroote, please click here.
Qualifying Practical Experience
To fully become a CPA, a candidate is required to completed 30 months of work experience and can do so through various options. CPA candidates are able to fulfill their experience requirements by working for a company that is a Pre-Approve Program Route (PPR). Otherwise the Experience Verification Route (EVR) path gives candidates the opportunity to report their current/past work experiences for review by CPA Ontario to judge if specific roles and responsibilities should be granted as qualifying practical experience for the designation.
For more information, please click here.
To better understand how a McMaster students current or prospective position might alight with the CPA technical competency requirements for purposes of the experience verification route, please click here.
Become a Post-Secondary Ambassador
Join the Post-Secondary Ambassador Program (PSAP). It's your first step in networking your way to success and getting ahead of your competition.
- The PSAP e-newsletter, featuring upcoming events and ways to get involved with CPA Ontario
- Access to Road to the CPA, a NEW three-part webinar series featuring CPAs and students in the CPA program
- D&A Magazine e-alerts with digital access to CPA Ontario’s magazine, providing an in-depth focus on the issues that matter to the CPA profession
- One-on-one coffee, your chance to win a meeting with a CPA from a highly coveted list of CPAs in diverse roles and industries
- Recruitment tips for guidance on your career journey
- Access to the New Venture Challenge, CPA Ontario’s NEW provincial entrepreneurship competition
- Opportunity to apply for MAP to Success, CPA Ontario’s NEW PSAP mentorship program. Your chance to connect with an established CPA member throughout the school year
- The CheckPoint Networking Series where you can connect with, and learn from, CPAs and students in the CPA program at small and medium-sized accounting firms
- CPA Ontario’s job board, with exclusive access to job postings for post-secondary students
- The option to subscribe to CPA Magazine for the discounted student rate of $25 (includes HST). CPA Magazine is the largest financial professional circulation of any Canadian magazine covering financial and management accounting professionals across every business sector, with a circulation of over 180,000 readers.
- Learn more about the Board of Ambassadors(BoA) who act as an advisory and advocacy group to CPA Ontario. The BoA is comprised of accounting students from approximately 25 post-secondary campuses across Ontario.